Modernmoonman. Science Fiction book reviews.

Science Fiction Book Reviews and Stuff...

Friday, December 10, 2010

A Princess of Mars

A Princess of Mars, written by Edgar Rice Burroughs in 1912, is for those who like their sci-fi "soft," or with little emphasis on the "science" part of sci-fi.  Still, this volume (the first in a series of 11) has it's charms.  This volume doesn't exactly explain how John Carter is teleported to Mars, and the description is rather mystical.  Once there, there is technology: guns, flying warships, and incubators, but there is also a lot of swordplay.  The highlight of the book for me was when John Carter, utterly smitten with the foxy Dejah Thoris, states:

"They were brave men and noble fighters, and it grieved me that I had been forced to kill them, but I would have willingly depopulated all of Barsoom could I have reached the side of my Dejah Thoris in no other way."

Too funny...
This book is also the blueprint for the Adam Strange of DC Comics' Mystery in Space fame, so there's that:

No comments:

Post a Comment